SLRs are bulky and heavy. Their lenses are sold separately and can be prohibitively expensive. They are less forgiving of operator error. In fact, they will likely give worse results than a cheaper automatic camera for an unskilled user. So why bother with them at all?
- You want to learn more about the technical aspects of photography.
- You want to take specialized pictures, e.g. stars, small objects, formal portraits.
- You want to take pictures of moving things.
- You are willing to carry several pounds of camera to accomplish the above.
- You are willing to sink hundreds to thousands of dollars to accomplish the above.
Still interested? Because you have a long way to go.